MEN IN MY BED - - An Indie Filmmaker's Experience (I'm Still Coloring)

This is a screenshot from our short film Men In My Bed based on a book by Mercuries Ryzen
This image features actors Joseph James (left) and L'Raven Rouse (right).

Growing up in the 1970s, I spent a lot of time in our backyard building worlds with sticks, stones, sand, and lots of imagination. However, on rainy days, I was often on the floor coloring. With broken bits of crayon and colored pencils, I would whip out my coloring books and imagine a way to make the picture look good.

Today, I am still coloring. In the world of filmmaking, once I edit a film for story, emotion, and rhythm, I move to the phase of coloring in the image. This process of production is called color-grading. Essentially, I adjust the image to match the mood I want to create for the moment. 

This series was shot in the Vine City community in downtown Atlanta. Joseph plays the
character Billy and L'Raven is Lina Mae, one of his many love interests.

Using color-grading software, I can adjust brightness, contrast, and sharpness. I can determine the hues of red, blue, or green for a scene. And there are tools to desaturate or change color and other means to remove artifacts and errors. All in all, there are perhaps a million different possibilities for manipulating the look of a film.

There are many ways to approach this process; however, what always makes sense for me is to follow the story. As a filmmaker, I work to make sure the choices I make; best serve 'the story.'

Timothy Richardson served as the cinematographer for this well-composed series.

BASED ON A TRUE STORY
(Based on the autobiography “Men In My Bed” by Mercuries Ryzen)

In the late 1950s, Billy, our main character Shasha's father, was the very charismatic leader of a New York City gang called the Brooklyn Knights. He was a man of his time and had different ideas about his ability to love more than one woman at a time. That fact did not sit too well with his queen bee Betty.

In this series of images, Billy finds himself in the middle of an uncomfortable moment between his love interests: Betty, Shasha's mother, and Lina Mae, another one of his love interests. (In today's terminology, some might say it was his side-piece).

Billy & Betty's relationship set our story in motion.


The story takes a turn when Betty shows up. Played by actress/model Sefora Adjaho (left).

These images reflect our work-in-progress on making the most of this moment.

Currently, our team is in the final stages of getting this film out to audiences. You can keep up with our progress on both Facebook and Instagram @MenInMyBed.Movie

Note: Parents encourage your kids to color; one may never know when those skills may come in handy.


~ Anthony R. Page, Men In My Bed (Screenwriter, Director)


This part of the story is set in Brooklyn, NY in the late 1950s.
We are developing a color palette that adds a certain tonal character to the scene.
------------------------------------------------------------------

A Complete Look at Anthony's Background

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triggered and Tripped By Traumas (Anecdotes of Internal Observation)

Community, Culture & Conversation - A Film Screening Series w/ an Interactive Audience-led Discussion

Blue Bistro Creative and Belize Global Media Forge Path-breaking Partnership to Elevate Black Cinema Globally